Thursday, April 7, 2011

Volunteering with Meals on Wheels

In 1999,15 months after I retired from my pediatric practice and after 2 knee replacements, I volunteered as a Meals on Wheels deliverer. My route was the "eastside" which included Pennsylvania Ave. and neighborhoods east and west of Pennsylvania. I must say the next 10 years of this volunteer work were some of the most rewarding of my life, and I had had many, many rewarding experiences in my 44 yrs. of practicing pediatrics. I made so many dear friends with the clients to whom I delivered and with the wonderful people who work in the MOA kitchen. Losing many of my clients was a cause of grieving, but the satisfaction that I had contributed to their needs helped ease my sense of loss. It is very difficult to express the sorrow I felt when serious back problems caused me to resign from my volunteership in May of 2009.

-Patrick Evans, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment